School Mascot

SCC 2013-14 Minutes Archive

REPORT for Trust Lands 2013-14

Please explain how the action plan was implemented to reach this goal.

The plan was implemented by establishing a schedule for after school tutoring and enrichment. The tutoring sessions were advertised to the students and parents and were encouraged with individual students when appropriate. Also, logs are kept of the students who attend. This gives us an idea of how extensively the programs are used and gives us an opportunity to follow-up on individual student progress.   Students and parents requested more after-school learning opportunities to help improve student connection with the school.  Summer programs were used in five subject areas.

We improved one-to-one computer needs by purchasing I pad mobile labs for student use. Funds were also used to purchase computer software to assist teachers in monitoring data of each student’s mastery of standards in all subjects.  A school aid was not needed.

We are dedicated to continuing implementation of middle level philosophy complete with integrated curriculum, developmentally responsive instruction, and collaboration time.  Each department coordinated specific days for planning.   Funds were used for conference registration, professional development days, mentoring, substitute teachers, and student support when needed. SRI, Explore, DWAs, Tutoring and Summer Camp numbers, and SAGE assessments were used to assess student improvement.  Teachers then use PLC time and team curriculum days to develop instructional strategies and assessments to monitor, and improve, student achievement.

This is the measurement identified in the plan to determine if the goal was reached.

We will use the end of level assessment to show progress towards our goal.  We will also use formative and summative assessments to track growth in the other subject areas.  Professional development efforts, and its impact on student learning, will be measured using pre-post assessments data and overall improvement in end of level scores in the math, science and Language Arts areas. We will use SRI’s to show growth with a school-wide improvement of moving students that score below basic in Reading to basic by 2% or more by the end of the year.   My Access writing assessment will be used with a holistic improvement every year.  Tutoring attendance will rise with numbers matching the growth of the school.  After-school activities participation counts will be used to assess improvement of attendance and interest

Please show the before and after measurements and how academic performance was improved.
The 13-14 school year was our opening year at Copper Mountain.  We do have the baseline measurements for SAGE, DWA, SRI, Tutoring, summer attendance, and Professional Development:

SAGE Scores for 2013-14

ELA
Grade Percent of Students Proficient Percent of Students Tested
Grade 7 54% 98%
Grade 8 51% 99%
Grade 9 43% 97%
Mathematics
Grade Percent of Students Proficient Percent of Students Tested
Grade 7 55% 86%
Grade 8 47% 90%
Secondary Math I 46% 98%
Secondary Math II 93% 100%
Science
Grade Percent of Students Proficient Percent of Students Tested
Grade 7 64% 98%
Grade 8 60% 99%
Earth Science 54% 98%
Biology 80% 98%

SRI: Students at or above grade level for reading

7th Grade 71.5
8th Grade 77.3
9th Grade 73.8
School 74.2

Direct Writing Assessment

DWA 2013-14
Students at Level 4
25.8 CMMS
25.1 JSD
23.5 State

Students attending after and before school tutoring for the year: 3,650

Students attending summer camps and programs: 75

Teachers that attended conferences: 26

Teachers involved in summer and school planning days:  48

The amounts, categories and descriptions of expenditures planned to implement this goal are listed here:

$37,944

Salaries and Employee Benefits (100 and 200)

We are dedicated to continuing
implementation of middle level
philosophy complete with integrated
curriculum, developmentally responsive
instruction, and collaboration between
staff members.  Funds will be used
for in-school mentor training with
substitutes to cover, team curriculum
planning, registration fees and
materials for middle level and gifted
conferences, and professional
development in content specific areas.
Also, Teachers will be used for
after school tutoring, summer school,
and after school activities throughout
the year.  Money will be used for
teachers to work at the school, during
the summer to set the curriculum and
common assessments for the coming
year.  Each department will come in
for one week for four hours a day.
A part-time data/testing aid will
collect and distribute the data.

$7,000

Software (670)

Money will be used for a school-wide
data collection system and an adult aid
to administer the system. This system
will be used to give teachers immediate
feedback on their own assessments.
This data will be used to identify
students that are not learning, inform
teachers on how effective their teaching
was and help guarantee the curriculum in
the subject areas.

$5,000

Equipment (Computer Hardware, Instruments, Furniture) (730)

Money will be used for classroom
technology needs that arise with the
opening of a new building.

Please describe the expenditures made to implement this goal as identified in the Financial Proposal and Report displayed above. Please list the amount, category and description for each expenditure category.

 

38,000 Salaries & Benefits plus Professional Services (Conference) Spent 35,000

7,000 Software    Spent 7,000

5,000 plus an amendment of 10,000 Computers Spent 14,000 New portable lab

ITEM B – In the Financial Proposal and Report, there is a carry-over of $7863 to the 2014-2015 school year. This is 12% of the distribution received in 2013-2014. Please describe the reason for a carry-over of more than 10% of the distribution.

This was our opening year and several teachers were not hired to complete the summer training until school began.  We continued to hold several planning days during the year, and summer time for planning .  As our staff grows we will be using more Professional Development monies for training and planning days all year long.  Also, as the news of our summer programs grow, more students will participate in the several summer opportunities we have available at Copper Mountain.

ITEM C – The school plan describes how additional funds exceeding the estimated distribution would be spent. This is the description.

Copper Mountain will use additional funds to continue after school programs. Monies will also be used to fund planning days, or professional development days with substitutes, to allow additional collaboration time for common curricular teachers and departments.

PAST Meeting NOTES:

April 2, 2014 – School Community Council Notes

Attending: Kim Baker, Sarah Scherbel, Mindy Kidd, Kennady Kidd, Sherri Somers, Katherine Harbaugh, Jacinto Peterson, Dawn Ramsey, Hunter Ramsey, Melisa Christiansen, Jenny Koller, Julie Williams, J Lynn Crane, Tami Ewell and Connie Bailey

WELCOME

  • Julie Williams call to order
  • Jenny motions to approve last meetings minutes. Katherine second.  Motion passes.
  • Julie Williams welcomes Kennady and Hunter, our SBO reps.

Old BUSINESS

  1. What is the status of the weekly calendar updates sent out to parents through skyward?
    1. Connie explained that she has been sending one out about twice a month.  This seems to be a happy medium to parents that would like Skyalterts more often and parent who have expressed that too many get sent out.
  2. Have law enforcement been contacted about the right turn only signage in the drop off lanes?
    1. Jacinto explained that we did put it in our SNAP plan as a suggestion, but for now it’s not going to change. Two other parking lots can turn left if needed.
  3. Students using bad language
  • Jacinto made an announcement the day following the last meeting, but what has been the follow up since then?

Jacinto talked about the character education in TA, White Ribbon Week, and Counselors talking to students about language and talking to others.  Sarah asked if there is a time where the school could address the issue with the parents through the orientation night or back to school night.

We do that with students at the beginning of the year with Code of Conduct and what is appropriate here at school.  Parents have been called and students have been sent home for language. Sarah asked what she should tell her daughter that comes home after having faced the bag language here at school or on the bus. Jacinto said to come and let an administrator or counselor know and the school will do what we can. Sherri had an incident with her daughter on the bus and Sherri’s daughter talked to administration and things were talked about with the students. Jacinto explained there are places to go and steps to take to start seeing results. Julie thanks school for effort.

STUDENT BODY OFFICERS

Kennady and Hunter talked about a Food Drive that will start April 14th and run through April 25th.  The SBO’s asked the SCC to help promote the food drive in April.  The food will go to the Utah Food Bank.  Students will drop food off in their TA class.  Hunter brings attention to the handout.  Sarah asks how we can support the food drive: by talking to neighbors, hanging signs, etc.  The SBO’s are going to put it on the blog, Facebook, and Twitter.

Tami explained an activity the SBO’s have been running.  They are giving lesson ideas to TA classes about leadership and character building.  SBO’s are also running a blog for students to ask questions and nominate others for recognition.

A meeting for next year SBO elections will be April 24th at 3:00pm in room P202.  Incoming 7th grade SBO elections will be done in the fall.  During the 7th grade orientation day, the 7th graders have an introduction for becoming an SBO’s.

SCHOOL TRUSTLANDS 2014-2015

Kim announced that Mastery Connect is going to be purchased by the district next year.  We now have $3000 additional to decide where to put it.  Sarah would like to see it going to risers for choir.  Kim says that might get pushback from the community because it is only going to a select program and not all students.  Julie asks where we can get the biggest bang for our buck.  Sarah asks where funds come from for equipment, like for risers or PE equipment.  Kim says that it comes out of the school equipment fund.  Sarah asks if the money can go to paying teachers for after school activities.  She would like to reward the teachers, and compensate them, for their extra hours.  Kim explained that timesheets for teacher’s afterschool and summer time has to come through Trust lands, and cannot come from the school fund.  Sarah would love to see the teacher’s happy and wanting to be here.  Julie asks if we can table the talk of $3000 until later in the meeting to think about it.  Everything else in the Trust lands Plan for 2014-15 have already been approved from last meeting.

Julie asks if there are any legislative changes to SCC.  Kim says the changes are date changes and everything else is pretty much the same as this year.

Julie asks about changes to enrollment for next year.  Kim says that it will be about 1220.  We are at 1140 this year.  Julie asked if we are hiring new teachers.  Kim says that we are hiring 3 new.  Our Spanish and Theatre programs have doubled.  The play really got kids excited about theatre.  The play was an incredible success.  We had all kinds of help from donations and other schools with equipment.  Sarah asked if there were numbers on how much profit was made.  Kim said that Shan has the numbers, but we are missing some wireless microphones that are about $300 each and that will have to be deducted if we can’t find them.  Dawn said she was headed to Elk Ridge tomorrow and can ask if the microphones might have been sent with the borrowed stuff by accident.  She is going to check.

BELL SCHEDULE

The school is proposing that we change to a block schedule on Thursday and Friday for next year.             Julie asked how the faculty voted.  Are the teachers in favor of longer periods?

Kim explained there was overwhelmingly support of a block schedule. Right now the classes are about 50 minutes and now we are looking at about 90 minutes.  Student reps were asked their feeling.  Both students expressed dislike for the block, because it was too long.  Kennady said she likes a little of each class each day.  Kim explained that the block right now is longer than it will be due to the sage testing that has been going on, but next year it will be a shorter time.  Teachers will have more time to plan and change up activities and do remediation for students struggling with certain concepts and extensions for beyond mastery.  Science will be able to do longer experiments and the cooking class will be able to do more

Julie’s concern is students just sitting and being lectured for 90 minutes.  Sarah asks what data the school will look at to see if the block scheduling is making a difference.  Kim explained that we will access it weekly in PLC, assessments on mastery connect, and grades.  It will also be how the students and teachers see the change as an improvement.  Julie asked how long we are going to try it.  Kim says she’s not sure.  Tami thinks about a quarter would be good to reevaluate things.  During Friday PLC it will be discussed.  By having it consistent, the teacher’s will be able to prepare for the longer periods.  J. Lynn Crane says that no matter what you do, there may be some teachers that have a hard time making the adjustment without guidance.  Kim explained that the application of what students are learning takes time and we run out of time right now.  J. Lynn asked if the school still going to be in compliance with instructional hours by making this change? Kim said Yes.  Connie and Jacinto will be working on bell schedules.

Sherri’s concern is attendance issues.  Is Friday now attended as well as other days?  Kim talks about how we have seen an increase of vacation requests and not attending school. We have testing coming up and we have students missing weeks of school.  Mindy suggests that it is because the elementary schools are on year round schedule so families just need to find a time to go.  Julie asks if we could rotate the days so the same teachers are not dealing with all the missing students on Fridays.    Julie asked what is the deadline on when to adopt the bell schedule? Kim says within the next two weeks.   Mindy asked about doing Block in the middle of the week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Kim explained that one of the purposes of the block is to make Friday’s more impactful, because right now the periods are too short and it’s hard to get a lot done in 30 min.

SCHOOL DEDICATION

Kim talks about the school dedication and asks the SCC members to attend.  It will be May 13th at 7:00pm.  The choir will sing and the band will perform.  The Superintendent, Construction Company, architect, and board members will have remarks.  It’s been an incredible journey.

SCHOOL SPIRIT AND UNITY 2014-2015

Julie proposes helping each student feel that they belong as they come in the building starting the very beginning of the year.  Julie doesn’t want us to lose students because they don’t feel like they belong.  She believes it can be as simple as just a school shirt for every student.  It would be about $5 each.  The money would have to come out of the general fund or donation ($6,000).  Julie suggests using the extra $3000 Trust lands.  Kim is not sure that it should come out of Trust lands, but would like to see it happen and will work on the idea.  Sarah and Sherri ask about getting a donation from a company.  We are hoping that with all the different summer activities that students find something they want to get involved with.   Students will start building relationships with other students and teachers

SCC ELECTIONS IN THE FALL 2014

Julie asked if we can hold elections for SCC in the fall so incoming parents can participate.  Julie asks how much time we need to advertise or put out nominations before the first meeting.  Kim has applications in the summer registration packets.  Any parent that is interested and applies can join.  The only election would be for the Chairs.  A term is 2 years.  Jenny explained that a parent can stay on as SCC if for two of the years they have a student in the school.  Jenny will not be returning because she will not have a student here.  The committee thanked Julie t her for her service.

 

Remarks

: Julie asked when the Chalk Art Festival is going to be.  Kim explained that it is up to the art department.   Right now the art department is working on artwork for the Jordan School Board room.  Sarah comments that the wall of art in the CMMS hall is really nice and thinks it is a good addition to the school.

Finish Trust Lands Vote: Jenny motions to vote that the Mastery Connect money, $3000 goes into professional development.  Dawn seconds.  Motion passed. The Trust Lands Plan for 2014-15 is approved

Julie thanks members for being a part of SCC this year.

Julie wants to thank the Administration for being in the hall and knowing the kids.  The kids know they care and she appreciates it.  Katherine says thanks for Math Counts and Science Olympiad.  Sarah is thankful to administration for all the help with PTSA.  Jenny thanks the administration for some of the best teachers she has experienced.  She sees that the teachers want to be here and feels support from the teachers.  Kim talks about everyone in the building want to be at CMMS and the community can feel it.  Sarah is impressed with the teachers and how they know her kids and they are not just names on a paper.

J. Lynn Crane talked about Jordan employee pay scale not being as competitive as other districts.  A significant raise is going into effect next year.  He wants to be an employee advocate, and want employees to be treated as fairly as possible.  This is a two year contract.  From the Board perspective, this is a real goal to maintain.  commitment and loyalty of teachers.  Kim said it was a lifesaver. Julie says that is exactly what we as parents want, because the teachers put in a lot of overtime and she would like them compensated.

DOG GONE NIGHT

Jacinto talked about Dog Gone Night being April 10th from 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm.  Families can come and pick up report cards and have a hot dog.  It will be north of the cafeteria.

LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT USING THE BUILDING

Jacinto said that the local law enforcement needs permission from SCC for the school to be used as training grounds for k9 dogs.  It will be during school hours, probably during a fire drill or earthquake drill.  Dawn motions, Jenny Seconds.  Motion carries.

Dawn wants to thank Jenny and Julie for organization and flow of SCC this year.

Julie says that minutes from this meeting will be emailed out for approval.

Sarah motions for close of meeting, Connie seconds, Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be in September 2014

Thanks for a great ‘Year of Firsts’

February 12, 2014 – School Community Council

Attending: Jenny Koller, Julie Williams, Kim Baker, Sarah Scherbel, Tami Ewell, Mindy Kidd, Sherri Somers, Katherine Harbaugh, Jacinto Peterson, Dawn Ramsey, Melisa Christiansen, Connie Bailey, Michelle Sampson, Tricia Petrey

WELCOME

  • Julie welcomes everyone order
  • Review of Last Meetings Minutes
    • Sarah motions to approve minutes
    • Jenny Seconds
    • Motion passes

TRUSTLANDS 2014-2015

  • Kim talks about getting every student with a 90% proficiency in every subject as being our ultimate goal.  The sage test will be used as well as the SLOs (Student Learning Objectives), which are district-wide; the SLO’s will be state-wide in two years.
    • Michelle asks about when we can anticipate the results for those tests
      • We will not get them until the fall, but once we get them, we will be able to compare us to other schools state-wide because the sage is a state-wide test.
  • Dawn asks about other subjects, non-core, like guitar, and consistency of Standards Based Grading
    • What do the student’s need to do to get above mastery?  To get that 4?
    • Based on the rubrics, the expectations should be very clear what students need to do to achieve the above mastery score.
    • The rubrics are key and should be very explicit
    • For LA, there will be samples of what is a 4, what is a 3, etc., on the website
    • Trust Land money will be used for Professional Development for staff, collaboration, after school tutoring and activities, technology and summer camps, etc.
      • Summer programs we’re thinking about are; Math Counts, Science Olympiad, Foods Camp, Journalism, Sewing Camp, possibly a credit recovery option for 9th graders
        • Julie would like to see Trust Land money used mostly during the school year
        • Sarah asks what we are doing now to prevent dropout and credit recovery.
          • During TA there are a lot of time to retake tests, visit with teachers of classes where students are struggling, etc.
          • Julie would like to see more opportunities for students in honors classes to have time during the day to makeup work
  • Mindy and Julie commented that more communication to parents would be nice.  Parents fill a lot of information is not making it home through the students.
    • Suggestion of a weekly Skyalert
    • Sherri asked about qualifying for honors and if one low score was going to make or break getting into the class.  Tami explained that the students will receive an overall total score based on many data points: GPA, MyAccess, Explore, SRI, and citizenship.
    • Julie wondering if Chalk Art Festival is under Trust Land for teachers to participate?
      • Kim said that there is money available if the teachers would like to take advantage of the opportunity.
      • Kim asked what category SCC would like extra money to go, if there is extra money?
        • A majority of members suggest after school activities, tutoring, and summer camps.  All agreed the plan was ready for approval at the next meeting.

CLASS OFFERINGS

  • Julie would like TA clarified for incoming 7th grade students and parents
    • Kim explained that on 7th grade orientation night, counselors go over all course offerings and required classes as well as each family will receive a written course description of everything that is available on the course selection card.
    • TA is essentially a homeroom.  Students receive one-on-one grade checks, teachers look at credit deficient students and how to help, remediation for classes is done, teachers advocate for their students with other teachers, and situational events and character development are done from time to time.  Teachers participate in cross-curricular teaming during their PLC time to advocate for students in their TA class.
    • The school is researching the idea of doing a block schedule on Thursdays and Fridays for next year.  Students will have more in-depth/intensive time for remediation or extensions (labs) in each class.
    • Sarah suggested getting a marquee that has running announcements and information for students and parents to see.
      • As of this week, there are TV’s on Main Street and in the lunch room and will run announcements
  • Electives
    • Julie would like to see more life skills classes (shop, wood working, clothing, food, etc.) offered in 7th grade
      • Kim explained that is the purpose of the CTE class.  The CTE class gives students the opportunity to try many different things throughout the year and then in 8th and 9th grade there are more specialized classes.  Adding specific classes at the 7th grade level would require direction from the State Office of Education.
  • Julie would like to see more computer programing classes earlier in high school offerings, specifically for 9th graders.
    • Kim shared that we are looking at adding some 2015-16.  We have a teacher that is working towards certification.

SAFE WALKIG ROUTE

  • Jacinto explained that the SNAP Plan is pretty much the same as last year with the exception of the new neighborhood that is being developed and that will be added to the plan.
  • Jacinto asked what issues committee members saw this year.
    • Mountain View Corridor is still an issues
      • Connie commented that South Jordan was doing surveys to see how to make it safer for students, but we haven’t heard anything yet
      • There is a plan for a tunnel under Mountain View, but that is many years from becoming reality.
  • Daybreak Parkway is still an issue where there is no sidewalk and it’s marked on the SNAP plan as “caution”, but hopefully with the new development of townhouses there will be a sidewalk installed.
  • Herriman City reported that Anthem Park Drive south will be done by the start of school
  • Mindy asked if we can change the right turn only out of the drop off lane to be certain hours only, so when it is not drop-off or pick-up times it would be legal to turn left.
    • Connie and Jacinto will ask Law Enforcement
  • Jacinto said to email additional concerns to him by end of February

ISSUE OF SWEARING

  • Julie and Sarah have noticed a lot of swearing in the hallways, assemblies, and locker rooms. They ask that it be addressed and even suggest parents be notified to discuss the issue at home with students.
    • Jacinto said that we will continue with announcing and discussing during TA.   Many times it is a great teaching moment for students.
      • Students need to realize that as adults we can’t use that language in the work place and schools have similar standards.

MOTION TO CLOSE

  • Jenny Koller motions for close of meeting
  • Connie Seconds

Last Meeting April 2nd at 6:00 pm

  • Sign Trust Lands

 

November 13, 2013

ATTENDING: Connie Bailey, Katherine Harbaugh, Jenny Koller, Kim Baker, Sarah Scherbel, Tami Ewell, Jacinto Peterson, Julie Williams, Adrian Williams

WELCOME:

  • Jenny Koller welcomed everyone
  • Jenny reviewed SCC term commitment
    • Two years is your term.  Need to have a student in the building for one of the years.
    • Can we vote and make a decision with the few people we have attended?
    • Chairs will contact others to decipher commitment to SCC, send minutes from last meeting to be reviewed, pass out time and date of next meeting and vote on items from this meeting.

HONORS CLASSES:

  • Katherine would like to see honors class as an option for 7TH & 8TH graders, so students will be in classes with other students of similar education levels and goals.
    • Agreed by many committee members
  • Kim explained that although one thinks having honors classes gives more options, it actually can limit elective options because of scheduling and having singular classes.
  • Kim said the school will look at putting in honors and the criteria for being accepted into the honors classes.  Will get some information from Elk Ridge.

STANDARDS BASED GRADING

  • Katherine asked what has been the feedback from parents, because she does not see her student being challenged.
  • Tami responded that she hasn’t had any complaints or really any problems, but that may be attributed to this being her 3rd year doing standards based grading, but a teacher doing it for the first time may be working out some issues and getting it to fit for his/her classroom.
    • An example was the 8th grade LA class only had 2 assessments for calculating the whole grade for first quarter.
      • This has been addressed and there will be more assessments and the teachers will break up assessments by each standard going further.
  • Katherine understands the higher level thinking that is being encouraged by standards based grading, but does not understand why it is taking 3 assignments and the students only get one grade for those 3 assignments or assessments.
  • Kim explained that each assignment builds on the next.  It starts out basic and moves so a higher understanding is achieved.  The student is able to understand and apply the concepts.
  • Julie’s concern was how is the citizenship graded with standards based grading, specifically geography.  Kids can smell unfairness, but it needs to be consistent, attainable and explicit.
    • Tami explained that a generic rubric did go around and there is a rubric for citizenship that includes tardies, behavior, etc. so there is some consistency.
  • Julie commented that standards based grading is like real life, you learn from errors and fix it, you don’t just fail and that is the end of it.
  • Kim invited parents to come and sit in team meetings on Friday morning PLC’s and see the process the staff is going through to create and adapt lessons and assessments to meet the standards.  The grades students receive will be representative of knowledge they have.

TRUSTLANDS

  • Kim’s revision of Trustlands to buy mobile ipad lab needs to be signed by committee members.
    • Trustlands form sent around and signed by members.
  • Julie proposed that we write into the Trustlands fund, for next year, money to pay for teachers and staff that runs the drama will be compensated for time after school.
    • Kim will look at Elk Ridge’s Trustlands to see how it is written up

SCC FUNDRAISER

  • Sarah suggested that we give our SCC fundraiser to another area that could use it.
  • Ms. Armstrong submitted a proposal to take over the SCC Fundraiser.
  • Sarah proposed to give it to Ms. Armstrong for the spring musical/play.
  • Voting will be done via email so a majority can be met.
  • Julie commented that Elk Ridge borrows money upfront from the general fund for the rights of the play, ask for a $2 per ticket donation and the plays become self-sufficient.

MISC

  • Spirit Week
    • Tami talked about the heart attack service project and presented Julie and Jenny some “heart attacks” that a couple TA classes did for them.
  • Julie had some feedback from students about not getting to wear costumes on Halloween.
    • Discussion about how restrictive the dress code makes costumes, but can be looked at for next year.

Jenny called to Adjourn, Julie seconded, meeting adjourned.

September 12, 2013

ATTENDING: Sherri Somers, Tami Ewell, Paula Landeen, Adrian Williams, Jacinto Peterson, Sarah Scherbel, Dawn Ramsey, Connie Bailey, J. Lynn Crane, Katherine Harbaugh, Mindy Kidd, Kimber Uluave, Anthony Godfrey, Mike Anderson, Melisa Christiansen, Kim Baker, Susan Pulsipher, Trisha Petrey

WELCOME: Kim Baker: Introduce Adrian Williams who is filling in for our Co-Chair: Julie Williams

  • Change time or dates for school community council, would earlier work? 5 pm a possibility?
    • Motion made by Kim Baker to move meeting time from 6 pm to 5pm to accommodate busy schedules.  Dawn Ramsey motioned for a vote, Melisa Christiansen seconded.  Voting was unanimous.
  • Kim nominated Melisa Christiansen as a School Co-chair so there is a school representative in the event the other chairs are not in attendance.  Connie Bailey seconds the motion.  Voting was unanimous.

MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING

  • Minutes were read silently.  Melisa motioned to accept minutes.  Sarah Scherbel seconded. Voting was unanimous
  • Kim went over Rules of Order and Procedure for School Community Council
    • There were no questions or comments

TRUSTLANDS

  • Community Council members watched a DVD regarding School Trust Lands
  • Members reviewed the Trustland allocations for this school year
  • Sarah asked if the cost of Mastery Connect is going to be the same next year as it was this year.
    • Since the staff will not need the training, it should only be about $3000.
  • Kim showed the members that there is more money that initially thought last spring by about $14,000.  We can easily distribute the money to a category already established.  Kim suggested putting the money toward an ipad mini moble lab.
    • Adrian asked what kind of apps would be made available on the minis
      • § Tami, Paula and Connie presented many different apps that are helpful in getting the students hands-on interaction in classes. Some of those apps include: imovie maker, Nearpod, ebooks for resource students and lower level readers, presentation tools, etc.
    • Kim motions for the extra Trustlands money to be used for technology.  Adrian seconded. Voting was unanimous.
    • Sarah asks if the money allocated for afterschool activities includes the Arts?
      • § Kim states that there will be afterschool cooking, sewing, and theater activities.  All those classes have standards that need followed as well as the core classes.

STUDENT-LED CONFERENCE

  • Jacinto Peterson made members aware that Student-Led Conferences will be Oct. 2nd and 3rd.
  • Examples of the Student-led Conference folders were distributed to members
  • Sherri asked if both Fall and Spring Conferences will be Student-led.
    • Yes, the philosophy is to develop skills for students to be prepared for workforce and it builds confidence in the student.  It allows the student to show and take ownership for what they have achieved and have done over the semester.

STANDARDS-BASED GRADING

  • Kim read a handout on Standards-Based Grading to the members
  • Tami and Paula went more in-depth about Standards-Based Grading, how it looks in Skyward and how it will look slightly different for each teacher.
  • Sarah asked how it will work for 9th graders GPA and earning credit?
    • Grades will still be given on a traditional grading scale
  • Paula commented on observations she has seen that students tend to take risks on assignments, go deeper because there isn’t the pressure of the assignment grade.  Students are realizing that they need to do the assignments in order to pass the assessments.  IEP’s work towards achieving standards, so many of the resource students understand the concept of Standards-Based Grading very well.  There are many different ways to access a student’s knowledge, not just paper/pencil tests, but it can be presentations or group activities.
  • Katherine asked how the Standards-Based Grading scale of 4, 3, 2, 1 correlate with A,B,C,D?  Will kids get frustrated with not being able to get the grade?
    • Tami explained that a 3 is mastery which correlates to about an 80%, but that also means that a 3 is a range from about 80-90%
    • Kim explained that students can retake assessments if needed to get the grade they want.  The grades are in the student’s hands.
    • Mike asked if Tami and Paula would talk about how teachers us PLC’s to come up with curriculum to meet the standards
      • § Tami explained that teachers look at the standards, look at what students need to do to demonstrate the skills, then teachers come back together and look at assignments and assessments.  It’s a continuous process. Everything is data-driven.  Standards are different than curriculum.  There is no common curriculum for the standards.  Based on the standards, the teachers decide is taught.  Many textbook companies are aligning curriculum with the standards.
      • § Copper Mountain LA doesn’t use anything that is not approved by Jordan District
    • Sherri asked how Standards-Based Grading accommodates the very smart, but very not motivated student.  Where does accountability come in with Standards-Based Grading?
      • § More weight has been given to the citizenship grade.  Also, to be able to retake an assessment the student needs to have all the assignments finished (it can vary depending on how the teacher structures the class).  The level 4 (extending) also comes into play with motivating or challenging students.  Level 4 makes the student take the initiative.  The level 4 asks “How can you apply this Standard?”.  It allows the students more opportunities to be self-directed and find something in the subject that interests him/her.

AFTER-SCHOOL TUTORING/CAMPS/ACTIVITIES

  • Tutoring will start next week (September 17th, 2013)
  • It will be every Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3-4pm
  • Some other after-school activities are a cooking camp, rubrics cube group, theater group (Spectacolts), sewing group, math competitions, National Junior Honors Society (NJHS), Math Engineering Science Association (MESA)
  • Jacinto asked if the members were interested in any other programs.
  • Members responded by suggesting a chess group, photography, survivalist group, a creating apps group or camp.
  • Mindy asked if a parent could lead a camp, because she thinks there may be many parents that are willing and eager.
    • Kim explained that if a parent will be alone with students, the parent needs a background check, but if a faculty member is present its OK for the parent to lead the group or camp.
    • If parents are interested, send an email with ideas.  If there are supplies needed, Kim can buy some supplies.

SAFE WALKING ROUTE/BUSSING/PARKING LOT

  • 5600 west was supposed to be complete, but will not be complete until the end of the year
  • Connie has had several phone calls with South Jordan about crossing guards or something for students as they cross the corridor.  South Jordan is doing research and is looking at different possibilities.
    • Mindy asked if South Jordan parents could make a difference if more calls are made to the city.
      • § ask for safe walking route coordinator
      • Right now we have about 10 busses and busses still might change.
      • Members commented on students running down the middle of Anthem Park on skateboards
        • Connie and Jacinto will make announcements and talk to the school’s resource officer
        • Katherine asked about making a left turn available to exit the parking lot.  She suggested changing the direction of entering and exiting.
          • busses have to enter on the south side
          • Administration will look at the flow of traffic
          • Right hand turns can be made out of the North Parking lot.MISC
  • Tami asked if parent wanted to be on the Literature Selection Committee.  A parent and teacher from the school will be on the committee and will read books and approve or not approve books read by students in the district.
    • Mindy Kidd volunteers
    • Members asked about the capacity of the building
      • Building capacity is 1152

MEETING ADJOURNED

Next meeting

 

 3/20/13

Attendees: Lynn Crane, Kim Branch, Angie Edwards, Michelle Sampson, Jeremy Coller, Adrian Williams, Julie Williams, Karen Brooks, Allison Unsworth, Kim Baker, Melisa Christiansen, Whitney Barlow, Tami Ewell, Teri Timpson, Dawn Ramsey, Susan Pulsipher

Welcome and Introduction

  • Elections will take place at Back to School Night for next year’s School Community Council
  • talk about school improvement plans

Questions?

  • What is the status of construction?
  • so far it’s ahead of schedule
  • Will there be after school activities, such as MESA and Science Olympia?
    • yes, part of the Trust Land funds would provide those opportunities

-Announced Mascot and Colors:

-Mascot is the Colts and the colors are Burgundy, Gray and Black

Kim Baker -Principal

  • We will do Open Houses this summer to give students and parents the opportunity to see and get to know the building
  • There’s an advantage to the design of school and middle-level philosophy.  The building will allow for easier collaboration between classes with the common area in each of the pods.
  • We are planning on loading classes small to allow growth throughout the year
  • Student body elections will be ran at the same time as the other middle schools and 7th graders will do it next fall

Trust Lands

  • Majority of funds ($37, 944) going to professional development to get staff on the same page.  Would like staff the opportunity to get together this summer to start collaborating, as well as, time during the year for professional development.  This money would allow teachers days to work with each other in the building and pay for their subs.
    • After school activities, professional development, summer camps, MESA, NJHS, etc.
  • What does the fund typically pay for at the Middle School Level? Staffing? Tutors?
    • The same type of this as an elementary – Aides and tutors come out of Trust Land funds
    • Teri commented that – Most middle schools use a bulk of their Trust Land funds for collaboration time
  • $7000 will go to School-wide data collection system to increase teacher’s time with re-working lessons, doing enrichment activities and making sure students are getting to a mastery level
    • The data collection system will also show each parent exactly where their student stands in understanding different concepts within each subject area.
    • Data System will be aligned with Utah State Standards.
  • The remaining $5000 is set aside for a “just in case” fund, but can be re-allocated at the end of the year as needed.  It will go to classroom technology that may be over looked with the initial ordering for the school.

Concerns for Trust Land Proposal

  • How is the technology in the school?
    • The district has money for the technology needs in the building.
    • Apple TVs will be in the rooms, teachers will have iPads, etc.
    • The money that comes in at the beginning of the year will look at going to mobile labs if needed
  • Will S.C.C. do fundraising?
    • The school can do 4 a year and Kim wants to leave 2 to the SBO’s, 1 to PTA (strong recommendation that it will be memory books) and 1 to SCC

Approval of Land Trust plan-unanimous approval. Signature sheet sent around

Community Concerns/ Questions?

  • Lynn Crane – Talking about college acceptance changes…GPA will still be a component, but other things will be looked at for acceptance into Colleges or universities – Will there be opportunities for students to participate outside of the classroom? Kids tend to do better when they are involved in afterschool activities.
    • absolutely – school is a place to be connected, learn social skills
  • Is there room for parent volunteers?
    • yes, the more the merrier.  Volunteer sheet will be coming out with registration packet over the summer.  Hopefully, the PTA will be involved with organizing volunteers for different activities.
  • Music classes – how is the orchestra program going to be? can we have someone with a primary focus of strings, percussion, etc. – maybe rotate between schools
    • Right now we are looking at collaborating with Herriman High to maybe rotate teachers based on their different skills.
      • How is the theater program looking?
      • For this coming year we are in need of a half-time teacher, and the hope is that the program will grow to be similar to Elk Ridge
      • Will Copper Mountain be a Chinese Emersion School?
        • Yes,  teachers will share between schools
      • What is Seminary looking like for next year?
        • We are not sure yet, but when Melisa talked to the Seminary Principal they are working on 3 options.
          • Having a portable put on the land where the Seminary is being built
          • Having the students walk to Herriman High’s Seminary
          • Having the students bused to a church
      • Elk Ridge has intervention twice a week, will Copper Mountain have anything like that to give students time to meet with teachers and get help in areas they may be struggling?
        • In the schedule there will be a half hour period after 2nd period called Teacher’s Advisory (TA).
          • The purpose of TA will be a time for teachers to build a relationship and advise students, remediation time, activity, school business, and announcements.

A traffic light will be installed on 11800 South and 5600 this summer

  • What about on 12600 S for the Tuscany subdivision?
    • Kim hasn’t heard anything about plans for that yet

Jenny and Julie volunteer to be co-chairs for SCC

Meeting adjourned

Copper Mountain MD 2013 – 2014 School Plan
School Plan 2013 – 2014

1. Briefly describe the School LAND Trust Plan by explaining each goal the council has identified. Plans should
be research based. If your school has more than five goals, you will need to describe additional goals within the fifth
goal.
Goal #1

Copper Mountain Middle School will put into place the Utah State Standards, quality assessments, and a system of
interventions to meet the needs of all students. Using the processes of a Professional Learning Community, we will
develop a school improvement plan that is centered around a continuous improvement cycle through collaboration
focused on four questions. 1) What is it we want students to learn? 2) How will we know if they have learned it? 3)
What will we do if students do not learn it? 4) What do we do if students already know it?
Almost the entire salary and benefits section of the land trust money is dedicated to the school’s effort in the
establishment of its professional learning community. Our goals are to move more students to the proficient levels in
all State tested areas and feel the establishment of our PLC’s is the most viable research based system to do so. Our
goal is that test scores will be at 90% proficiency in Science, Mathematics, and Language Arts. We will focus on
learning, collaboration, and using results to guide our high quality instruction. We feel confident our plan will produce
the results we are looking for.
Choose the academic area for this goal from the list. You may select more than one area.
Mathematics Reading
Science Writing
Identify the measurement(s) you will use to determine if you are making progress towards the goal
We will use the end of level assessment to show progress towards our goal. We will also use formative and
summative assessments to track growth in the other subject areas. Professional development efforts, and its impact
on student learning, will be measured using pre-post assessments data and overall improvement in end of level scores
in the math, science and Language Arts areas. We will use SRI’s to show growth with a school-wide improvement of
moving students that score below basic in Reading to basic by 2% or more by the end of the year. My Access writing
assessment will be used with a holistic improvement every year. Tutoring attendance will rise with numbers matching
the growth of the school. After-school activities participation counts will be used to assess improvement of attendance
and interest
Outline the steps of the action plan to reach this goal.
Teachers and departments will use planning days to work on curriculum and assessments to support student learning
as it relates to state standards and mastery. All subject areas will have access to these days. Student mastery is not
solely measured by success in math, science and language arts. Teachers will analyze data to assess levels of
student learning and establish re-teaching methods to reassess student learning. It is the collective belief that the work
with professional learning communities will positively impact the results of our end of year assessments in all subjects.
Teachers will also attend conferences and receive direct training from experts in an area of need. Money will be used
for teachers to work at the school, during the summer, to set the curriculum and common assessments for the coming
year. Each department will come in for one week for four hours a day.
Teachers will use tutoring, after school activities, and summer programs to assist students below level in all subjects.
Also, students struggling with attendance issues can use this time to make-up missing work.
The part-time data/testing aid will collect data then supply teachers the student mastery information. Teachers will then

assess the levels of student mastery and establish re-teaching methods to reassess student learning.
Technology needs will be assessed through teacher surveys and testing availability.
Planned expenditures — use the dropdown menu to select an expenditure category. You may select more than
one category for this goal. Then enter the amount you plan to spend in that category with a short explanation
describing the expenditure. EXAMPLE for an expenditure in Salaries and Employee Benefits: One aide
assisting with math instruction.
Salaries and Employee Benefits (100 and 200) $37944
We are dedicated to continuing implementation of middle level philosophy complete with integrated curriculum,
developmentally responsive instruction, and collaboration between staff members. Funds will be used for in-school
mentor training with substitutes to cover, team curriculum planning, registration fees and materials for middle level and
gifted conferences, and professional development in content specific areas. Also, Teachers will be used for after
school tutoring, summer school, and after school activities throughout the year. Money will be used for teachers to
work at the school, during the summer to set the curriculum and common assessments for the coming year. Each
department will come in for one week for four hours a day. A part-time data/testing aid will collect and distribute the
data.
Software (670) $7000
Money will be used for a school-wide data collection system and an adult aid to administer the system. This system will
be used to give teachers immediate feedback on their own assessments. This data will be used to identify students
that are not learning, inform teachers on how effective their teaching was and help guarantee the curriculum in the
subject areas.
Equipment (Computer Hardware, Instruments, Furniture) (730) $5000
Money will be used for classroom technology needs that arise with the opening of a new building.
2. Financial Proposal (This chart is automatically calculated from entries made in each goal.)

Goal #1 Totals
Salaries and Employee
Benefits (100 and 200) $37,944 $37,944
Software (670) $7,000 $7,000
Equipment (Computer
Hardware, Instruments,
Furniture) (730)
$5,000 $5,000
ESTIMATED Total Spent 2013 – 2014 $49,944
ESTIMATED Carry Over 2014 – 2015 $-49,944
3. For plans that will carry-over more than 10% of the school’s 2013 – 2014 distribution, please explain below.

4. Plans for expenditures of an increased distribution:
The 2013-2014 distribution in this plan is an estimate. If the actual July distribution is more than the estimate, how will
additional funds be spent to implement the goals described in the plan? Please indicate the goal number identified in
Question 2 and explain how the increased funds will further implement the action plan. Please provide an adequate
explanation of academic use so that it will not be necessary to go back to the school board for approval to expend an
increased distribution.
Copper Mountain will use additional funds to continue after school programs. Monies will also be used to fund planning
days, or professional development days with substitutes, to allow additional collaboration time for common curricular
teachers and departments.
5. How will the plan and results be publicized to your community? (Please check all that apply.)If you would like
free stickers and/or a stamp or identify School LAND Trust purchases such as books or computers, click here to
request them.
• Letters to policy makers and/or administrators of trust lands and trust funds.
• School newsletter
• School assembly
• School website
• School marquee
6. The vote of the council/committee to approve the 2013 – 2014 School LAND Trust Plan was recorded in the minutes
and took place on:
03/20/2013 15 Approved 0 Not Approved 3 Absent