School Mascot

SCC 2014-15 Minutes Archive

2014-15 Trust Land Final Report

Goal

Copper Mountain Middle School has in place the Utah State Standards, quality assessments, and a system of interventions to meet the needs of all students.  Using the processes of a Professional Learning Community, we have a school improvement plan that is centered around a continuous improvement cycle through collaboration focused on four questions.  1) What is it we want students to learn? 2) How will we know if they have learned it? 3) What will we do if students do not learn it?  4) What do we do if students already know it?  Almost the entire salary and benefits section of the land trust money is dedicated to the school’s effort in the establishment of its professional learning community and professional Development.  Our goals are to move more students to the proficient levels in all tested areas and feel the establishment of our PLC’s is the most viable research based system to do so.  Our goal is that test scores will be at 90% proficiency in Science, Mathematics, Language Arts, and Mastery for all other subjects. We will focus on learning, collaboration, and using results to guide our high quality instruction.  We feel confident our plan will produce the results we are looking for.

Academic Areas

Reading

Science

Writing

Mathematics

Technology

Measurements Answer

 

This is the measurement identified in the plan to determine if the goal was reached.

We will use end of level assessments to show progress towards our goal in Science, Mathematics, and Language Arts.  We will also use formative and summative assessments on Mastery Connect to track growth and mastery in all other subject areas.  Professional development efforts, and its impact on student learning, will be measured using pre-post assessment data and overall improvement in benchmarks and end of level testing.  We will use SRI?s to show growth with a school-wide improvement of moving students that score below basic in Reading to basic by 2% or more by the end of the year.   My Access writing assessment will be used with a holistic improvement every year.  Tutoring attendance will rise with numbers matching the growth of the school.  After-school and summer programs participation counts will be used to assess improvement of attendance and interest.

Please show the before and after measurements and how academic performance was improved.

SRI          (% of students on or Above Grade Level)

13-14 End                               14-15 Mid         2015 End

7th Grade            71.5                            62                       69

8th Grade            77.3                           64                        67

9th Grade            73.8                            67                      73

School          74.2                                     64                School 69

 

After & Before School Tutoring Counts

September- May  –          11,624

 

2014            2015      

Summer Camps                          145             125

 

SAGE Scores

    2014                                                         2015

Lang Arts – 50% Prof                    LA –    52 %

Math        – 51 %                           Ma   – 58 %

Science   – 70      %                       Sci –   70 %

 

My Access ( Now using Utah Compose)

Benchmark scores

St #1 20.5

St #2 18.4

St #3  NA

Average 20.3

 

This is the Action Plan Steps identified in the plan to reach the goal.

All teachers will use team planning days to work on curriculum and assessments to support student learning as it relates to State Standards and Mastery.  All subject areas will have access to Professional Development days during the school year and summer.  Student mastery is not solely measured by success in only math, science and language arts.  All teachers will analyze data to assess levels of student learning, and establish re-teaching or extend methods, for student progress.  It is the collective belief that the work with professional learning communities will positively impact the results of our end of year assessments in all subjects.  Teachers will work at the school, and during the summer, to set the curriculum and common assessments for the year (Team Planning Days with substitutes to cover, and summer work days).  We are dedicated to continuing implementation of middle level philosophy complete with integrated curriculum, developmentally responsive instruction, and collaboration between staff members.  Funds will be used for in-school mentor training with substitutes to cover.  Copper Mountain has several new teachers on staff that need extra support with the State standards, curriculum, assessments, class management, remediation, and extend activities. Teachers will use tutoring, after school activities, and summer programs to assist students with remediation and extension in all subjects.  Students struggling with attendance issues can use this time to make-up missing work and receive help on standards.  Also, teachers will use after school activities, and summer programs, to extend students talents and interest in school. We believe this will build motivation and a strong connection to school.

Please explain how the action plan was implemented to reach this goal.

The plan was implemented by establishing a schedule for after school tutoring and enrichment. Each department coordinated specific days and staffing assignments. The tutoring sessions were advertised to the students and parents and were encouraged with individual students when appropriate. Also, logs were kept of the students who attended. This gives us an idea of how extensively the programs are used and gives us an opportunity to follow-up on individual student progress.   Students and parents requested more after-school learning opportunities to help improve student connection with the school. Several new summer, and after school, group activities were set up to address new interest.

We improved one-to-one computer needs by purchasing I pad mobile labs, and chromebooks with carts for student use. We are dedicated to continuing implementation of middle level philosophy complete with integrated curriculum, developmentally responsive instruction, and collaboration time.  Funds were used for conference registration, professional development team days, mentoring, substitute teachers, and student support when needed.  SRI, Utah Compose, and SAGE are used to assess student improvement.  Teachers then use PLC time and team curriculum days to develop instructional strategies and assessments to monitor, and improve, student achievement.

alaries and Employee Benefits (100 and 200) Teachers will work at the school, and during the summer, to set the curriculum and common assessments for the year (Team Planning Days with substitutes to cover, and summer work days).  Funds will also be used for in-school mentor training with substitutes to cover.   Teachers will teach after school tutoring and enrichment two days a week all year.  Teachers will also run summer programs for remediation and extend programs. $33,000 $29,788 As Described
Professional and Technical Services (300) All teachers in all departments will be available to attend conferences and receive direct training from experts in all areas. Staff will attend and be trained at conferences on Utah State Standards and strategies to use.  Money will be used for conference registration, substitutes, and materials required for the conferences. $20,000 $4,376 As Described
Equipment (Computer Hardware, Instruments, Furniture) (730)   We will continue to purchase computers, equipment, and mobile labs for classroom use in all subject areas. $10,000 $10,150 As Described

 

This year several teachers were not hired to complete the summer training until school began. We continued to hold several planning days during the year, and summer time for planning. As our staff grows we will be using more Professional Development monies for training and planning days all year long. Also, as the news of our summer programs grows, more students will participate in the several summer opportunities we have available at Copper Mountain.

*As Described*   Or—-Copper Mountain used additional funds to continue after school programs. Monies also were used to fund planning days, or professional development days with substitutes, to allow additional collaboration time for common curricular teachers and departments.  Increased distribution monies were used to purchase chromebook labs for each pod area. The areas will use the chromebooks for student testing and research.

School Community Council

April 15, 2015

Attendees: Julie Williams, Sarah Scherbel, Dawn Ramsey, Brad Sorenson (JSD), Jacinto Peterson, Sherri Somers, Michelle Sampson, Katherine Harbaugh, Glen Richens, Scott Finlayson (HPD), Kim Baker, Connie Bailey, Tami Ewell, Melisa Christiansen, Darrell Robinson (Herriman Hi SCC), Herb Jensen (JSD), Susan Pulsipher (JSD), Shane Greenwood, Jason Knight (South Jordan PD), Dave Alvord (Mayor: South Jordan)

WELCOME: Julie calls meeting to order and welcomes everyone.

Sarah moves to approve minutes, Dawn seconds.  Minutes approved from last meeting.

  1. SAFE WALKING ROUTE – Julie and Darrell have been working together to get a safe walking route for Copper Mountain and Herriman High.  The lights on Mountain View have been changed and parents have noticed a difference in safety.  Julie would like to talk about some solutions to making it even safer for our students that have to walk to school.  Kim asks if Brad would start with the observations the district has made.  Brad commented that as a district we have been looking at how many students are not eligible for busing and might walk across the corridor.  Herriman High has 125.  Copper Mountain has 211 students.  The district has noticed that in the morning there are less kids crossing than in the afternoon.   The amount of kids that actually walk around 15-20. They have also observed kids heading both ways, possibly kids from Early Light Academy.  Copper Mountain has 10 busses coming to CMMS.  About 80 of the 211 students have applied for space available permits, meaning that if there are room on busses, students that do not qualify to ride a bus may get approved.  66 of the 80 permits were granted.  14 could not get permits.  If there is room on the busses, the district opens every seat available, but is not able to grant all of them.  There were 128 students that didn’t apply for space available and have found their own way to school.  At the high school there is space available for all the students, but only 1 applied.  The high school has 4 busses and the 125 students that have to walk could get room on a bus if they apply for a space available permit.  Julie asked if that was something that could be communicated to parents, because she was not aware that is an option and what the process is.  Brad will follow up with Jim Birch (Principal at Herriman High).  Katherine asked that if 11800 S. is opened how it will affect the number of students no longer being approved for bussing.  Herb commented that bus transportation is 2 mile from the school based on direct driving routes, so it may affect some, but could not comment on a number.  Connie asked if anyone knew when 11800 would open.  No one at meeting is aware.  Julie asked if anyone knew about a tunnel that is possibly going under the corridor at 11800 s.  Kim commented that the city planners had talked to her about it being in the plans when the school was being built.  Dave said in his meeting with UDOT that UDOT’s concerns about doing a permanent solution, such as a bridge or tunnel, is that school boundaries are very likely to change with the growth out in this area and a permanent solution can be very expensive for something that may be remedied with boundary changes.  Dave and Susan have a meeting scheduled on the 11th May, with UDOT.  UDOT is looking at temporary solutions for now until the growth in this area has slowed down.  The new land purchased in daybreak could solve a lot of these problems once the new middle school is built.  Susan commented that it sounds like we need a short-term solution.  Jason comments that it is a very difficult situation because of how close it is to borders of Herriman and South Jordan.  He asked if there is a possible short-term partnership that can be reached between the cities and the district.  Jason mentioned that he thought the transportation rules in bussing guidelines (rule 3 or 4) that stated that a road such as the corridor acts as a barrier for the 2 mile rule and that may have been changed in the past year.  JSD personnel were unsure and would look into it.  Brad thought the district could look into a partnership.  Brad suggested that as a partnership, a bus could be made available, as a shuttle that would just bring students across the corridor.  Dave said that South Jordan is looking at stationing adults on the corners of the corridor to educate and monitor student crossing, but cannot put crossing guards on the corridor because of the speeds and type of roadway.  Julie says as parents, she would like to see the Hazardous busses.  Darrell is concerned that it really is a hazardous area because speeds cannot be reduced along the corridor.   Susan asked Dave what the cost of what putting crossing guards or adult monitors would be and if that projected cost could help pay for a hazardous bus.  Dave said he thought it is something that South Jordan can do in cooperation with the district.  Dave asked if the logistics of where the district shuttle will pick up has been looked at?  Herb said he would want the district routers to go and select a spot on Daybreak Parkway around 11800 S., then possibly So Jordan could ask Herriman City to help with cost for the shuttle on 11800 S.  The district could provide the bus and a driver.  Darrell asked if it would be possible to bring this to UTA?  Kim and Julie were uncomfortable with the idea of having students riding with the general community.  Dave asked who would be responsible for coordinating the shuttle system this with parents.  Kim said that the school would handle letting the parents know of their options.  Julie asked for a time-frame of when we would have a decision on whether the shuttle will be a viable option?  Dave would need to speak with his board and the district will need to look at costs.  Herb said the district will need to look at bus stops that are as close to the corridor as possible and have a shuttle stop.  Dave is wondering what half the cost would be.  Herb will get the information to Susan and she will get the information to Dave.  Herb’s routing expert can get numbers to the Mayor sometime next week.  Herb thinks it might be around 20K total for the year.  Darrell suggests that it would be ideal if the schools can let parents know by the end of the year of what is getting put in place, so parents will know all their options.  Sarah asked how much more it would cost to add one more bus into the rotation and pick up some of those students.  Susan says it can be as much as 40-60K.
  2. LAST MEETING: Julie would like to follow-up on last meeting.  Did the police dogs come to the lockdown and how did it go?  Connie said the dogs were called to work so were not able to come, but we had 7-8 officers come.  Not one teacher opened doors as officers tried to entice teachers to open the doors.  All in all it went very well.  Connie commented that the school is doing the Great Shakeout tomorrow (4/16/15).  We will do it during our TA time.  We are going to do the shakeout and a quick evacuation drill.
  3. COLT CORRAL – Jacinto talks about how the RTI piece is based on Standards Based Grading and not just retaking tests, but re-teaching and understanding standards. Our RTI time is to focus on concepts that are missing.  The extension part is the challenge.  There might be 700 students not in RTI that need extension activities.  The extension is still in debate.  Some departments, like Math, are saying they can do RTI every week.  Other departments may need it less.  It’s an ongoing process.  It is ever changing.  We are looking at bring our NJHS students in more as peer mentors/tutors.  Our teachers feel good about the RTI and we are looking at extensions.  Julie asked if there has been a better job of teachers getting the list and what kids are supposed to be in RTI?  Connie comments that yes it’s getting better, but it is still hard to get students in RTI, but everyone is looking at solutions.  Julie mentioned there is a concern with teachers not knowing their TA kids as well as they would like.  Tami commented that mid-year we made a change to have more TA classrooms activities so the TAs can get to know each other better.  Sarah applauds the school, and teachers, to be flexible and taking suggestions and making changes as needed.
  4. ACCREDITATION- March 16 & 17 2016. Connie commented that the school will be going through accreditation next year. The school will need some parent volunteers to serve on focus groups and give the accreditation committee feedback.  We have a small group of teachers that have attended many accreditation trainings.  During our PLC’s we will break into Focus groups to complete everything for accreditation.
  5. UP COMING CALENDAR & SUMMER PROGRAMS – Monday (4/20/15) –Dog Gone Night is a family night with Colton the Colt, hotdogs, chips and drinks. Sarah commented that she likes this kind of activity and would like to see more if possible.  It really helps incoming students feel comfortable with the school and excited about coming here.

Summer Camps – There will be a variety of summer camps.  All camps will be in August.  Fliers, messages on Facebook and the website and Skylerts will go out to notify parents and students about the offers.   Right now, the school is thinking there will be a camp in math, science, theatre, foreign language, foods, etc.

 

Counseling Center- Melisa talked about how the counselors are tracking the number of F’s students received in 8th grade last year to the number of F’s students have received in 9th grade this year.  We wanted to look at the same group of students, (so students graduating in year 2018).  Copper Mountain has reduced the number of F’s by 45%.  This reduction is attributed to many different factors, but that Colt Corral is playing a big piece in remediation.

  1. MISC- Sage testing starts April 27th Language Arts, Math and then Science.

Student led conference 82% attendance.

Kim commented that Trustlands opens tomorrow (4/16/15) and then she will input all the       information and it will be sent to the council to go on and approve our plan from February.

Glen Richens – As an administrative intern, has put together a time capsule through TA.  Each teacher will get an envelope and the students will come up with artifacts that will represent this community now and predict what it will be in 35 years or so.  We will collect all the stuff and let it sit until 2050.

Katherine would like to thank the math and science departments for their science and math afterschool activities.  Sarah would like to thank Kim for getting a theatre class during the day to help the teacher to be able to sustain another year for a play.

 

Julie- this is our last scheduled meeting for the year unless we need another one for the safe walking route.  Minutes will be emailed out and approved through email.  A new board will be voted on for next year in September.  A new chair will need to be voted for.  Julie would like to thank the council and that this council has been by far her favorite experience.  Julie moves to adjourn.  Sarah seconds. Meeting adjourned.

See everyone in 2015-16    GO COLTS!

 

School Community Council

February 11, 2015

Attendees: Julie Williams, Sarah Scherbel, Allison Arsenault, Jennifer Black, Jacinto Peterson, Connie Bailey, Michelle Sampson, Katherine Harbaugh, Melisa Christiansen, Dawn Ramsey, Sherri Somers, Lars Erickson and Kim Baker

  1. WELCOME-
    1. Julie calls meeting to order
    2. Connie motions to approve the minutes, Sarah seconds, Motion carries
  2. Trust Lands 2015-2016
    1. Kim says that the Land Trust website is being updated, so the signatures will need to be done through an electronic signature through email. Julie requests that everyone double check what is written in Land Trust before signing.  The deadline for submitting is April 15th, 2015.  Kim says that it will look like what is proposed.  Teachers are excited for more money in technology.  The goal is more mobile labs in each pod area and to have chrome books for each student to use.  The summer programs are getting bigger and they are open to incoming 7th grade students.  The summer programs are run in August, right before school starts.
    2. Julie asks if there are legislative changes that will affect total trust land money. It may go up and if it does, the money will be used to staff after school and summer programs as well as more technology.  Kim talks about how the teachers love the planning days to be able to collaborate.  There are restrictions because the school understands that teacher’s main job is to be in the classroom.
    3. Allison asked what the enrollment for next year looks like. Kim says that it’s estimated at 1250.  She has requested 2 portables.
    4. Sarah asked about a cell tower to increase money. Kim said that the only place they would look at putting a tower would be at Herriman High because Herriman is higher.
  3. CALENDAR
    1. Jacinto thanks parents for coming to 7th grade orientation last night. Questions were raised about older brothers and sisters of Chinese immersion students and if they are allowed to come to our school on permit when we are not accepting permits.  The siblings of immersion students will be allowed to come on permit.
    2. Friday, February 13th is the Valentine Day Dance from 3:00- 4:00pm.
    3. Colt of the Quarter is on February 17th. Chick-fil-a is a sponsor and donates food.  Each student is recognized if they were nominated and all previous winners are recognized.
    4. 8th Grade registration assembly is Friday the 13th during TA.
    5. ‘Dog Gone Night’ will be April 20th from 5-7pm. 3rd quarter report cards are handed out and hotdogs for the family.  Jacinto asks that if anyone has a hook up for hotdogs to let him know.
    6. There was an error in days that parents could schedule an appointment for Student Led Conference. There will be NO student led conference on Friday the 6th.  The nights are Wednesday the 4th and Thursday the 5th.  If any parent has scheduled for the 6th, contact the school.  Julie asks how Student Led Conference will be run this time.  Kim states that it will be the same as the fall.  There will be a survey parents can fill out on each of his/her student’s teachers.  It is the school’s way to evaluate if we are providing the services to kids and if kids feel comfortable in their classroom.  It is a survey for parents, students and faculty.  It is a district-wide survey that is a pilot this year.  It will be part of the school and staff evaluation.  It is something that we will look at to make our school better.
    7. Sarah asked if there is a standard for teacher’s communication with parents, because some are more frequent and better at communicating with parents than others. Kim explains that it will depend on the teacher.  It could be how experienced the teacher is or the teacher’s philosophy on student’s responsibility.  A lot of teacher’s have incredible websites that show what is going on.  If you need more, email the teacher.
    8. The book fair will be the week of March 2nd – 5th.
    9. The School Musical: Shrek is coming up on March 12th, 13th and 14th with an evening and matinee on the 14th.
    10. Frohm is starting a Jazz Band in the mornings before school.
  4. LOCKDOWN – Connie Bailey
    1. We have surprise visits from the district and they focus on the fact that all employees are wearing badges, doors are shut and locked. CMMS received 100% two years in a row on their evaluation.  Outside municipalities have also commented on how well our school responds to drills and potential threats on the building.
    2. Connie explains that we would like to have the dogs come in again if the SCC will vote to approve it. The lockdown the school is purposing to do will be a complete lockdown.  The school will snag some students, to make sure teachers and staff are accounting for students correctly.  Exits may be blocked to practice for similar situation should they arise.  The fire department and police department have come and are getting more and more familiar with our building so that if something were to happen they have familiarized themselves with the building and staff.  Julie asked if there will be any notice given to the lockdown.  Connie says that it takes away the purpose because it is more planned.  Unfortunately there may be parents standing outside our building waiting to check out a student, but the school wants it to be a legitimate drill and get the most out of it.
    3. Sherri asked how long this drill will take. Connie said the dogs will be about 15 minutes for dogs and then we will evacuate.  The evacuation and accountability piece will take about 15 more minutes, so the entire drill is expected to take 30-40 minutes.
    4. Allison asked how it is decided what period it will happen. Connie says that normally drills are run during TA time so teachers don’t lose teaching time, but for this drill it  may be mixed up to evaluate the process the school has in place for emergencies.
    5. Julie asks that the SCC move to vote on allowing the lockdown and dogs. Dawn firsts, Sarah seconds.  Motion approved.
  5. ACCREDITATION
    1. Connie states that Kim is being trained as an evaluator and is evaluating other schools, so she will know what we will need to prepare for our accreditation.
    2. It is an evaluation by the state. Evaluators look at technology teachers are using strategies and goals that are set and met but it is more focused on classroom teaching this time.  Everyone will be involved (school, parents, students, community, etc.).  Katherine asked if this is new for all schools or just us because we are a new school.  Kim explains that it is a new system, so it is something that all schools will be going through.  The district pays for all the middle schools to be accredited because it is a very expensive process.
  6. MISCELLANEOUS
    1. Julie wanted to give an update on the SCC meeting from Herriman High. Herriman will not be changing their bell schedule for next year.  They will be running an RTI time based off of what West Jordan’s High has been doing the last couple of years.  It will be 2 hrs/wk for    Clubs and groups will meet during that time and there will be study halls and places for students that don’t need the intervention time to go.  It will be a locked campus, so students will not be allowed to leave.  This schedule will only be during Monday-Thursday.
    2. Sarah asked if Kim has looked at changing our schedule to go to a full block.  Kim brought it up at principal meeting, but it is something that has to go to cabinet meeting because the middle school would have to add an additional period and the district would like to keep the middle schools the same.  Katherine would like another period in the middle school to get some more of the required classes taken care of in the middle school.
    3. Julie asked how the block has been going. Teachers are utilizing that time for longer projects and remediation.  Students seem to like it and are getting use to it.
    4. Jacinto says we are always looking for loving subs to help us out.
    5. Sarah commented on the music playing in the hall. It is played the last minute of passing time between each period.
    6. Julie motions to adjourn, Michelle seconds, meeting adjourned.

 

 

Next meeting is April 15th @ 6:00 pm.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Attendees: Kim Baker, Sarah Scherbel, Connie Bailey, Jill Putnam, Katherine Harbaugh, Jennifer Black, Julie Williams, Glen Richins, Allison Arsenault, Sherri Summers, Tami Ewell, Lars Erickson, Amy Swallow, Sabrina Armstrong, Trisha Petrey

 

  1. Welcome- Julie calls meeting to order. Started with introductions.
  2. Kim goes over notes from last time and minutes were approved
  3. Sage Results- Kim
    1. Overview of our scores in the three areas we were tested in. It’s a new test but not new curriculum.  Kim explained the structure of the test.  Test will be adaptive.  Last year was pilot, this year is benchmark and next year will be the year that counts.  Tami and Jill explain how they used Sage results to adjust curriculum.
    2. Concern over students in higher classes with lower SAGE scores. Discussion on how the test was new and how the test will be fine-tuned based on these results.  Connie discussed that this is a brand new test and navigating the test was new.  Also concerns over the length of test.  Teachers gave practice tests and are structuring all assessments to fit the format of the SAGE assessment.
  4. Safe Walking Route-Connie
    1. Moved the dates to Jan. 23rd.
    2. Danger zones stayed the same. The only changes were construction on Daybreak parkway and by Silvercrest Elementary.  These were added to our list of concerns.  Connie will submit the plan and talk to City manager about concerns for traffic flow.  Discussed inviting Mayor and city councilman to attend our meeting to address concerns.
    3. Kim pointed out that each day administrators remind students to follow safety procedures. Connie sent around the safe walking route signature sheet.
    4. We have 11 buses that are filled each day. We have more students riding buses than walking or riding to school.  Connie will get the approximate numbers of how many students ride the bus vs. walking. We currently have 519 students riding busses. There are 1,220 students enrolled. We estimate about 700 students walking or car pooling to school each day.
  5. School Trust Lands-Kim
    1. Explain why most of money put into plan days and after school tutoring.
    2. Jill discussed the benefits of planning days. Jill described what a planning day looks like and how her team organizes it.  Teams create common assessments.  Shared the example of a student being able to discuss with another teacher about a common assessment. Teachers then discuss data from common assessments and need a planning day to have enough time to do a quality analysis and action plan.  Julie described the continuity of common assessments.  Sarah explained how trust land money pays for the teachers’ substitutes.  If there is no sub, the teacher will teach that day.  Teacher teams can meet once a quarter.
    3. Money is budgeted for both planning days and the after school tutoring and summer camps.
    4. More money was put towards technology for Chromebooks and mobile labs. Currently have 3 iPad labs, 3 Netbook labs, and 5 Chromebook labs.
  6. Fundraiser- Sarina and Ami
    1. Sarina discussed last year’s fundraiser, which was used to help the play production. We don’t have ticket sales so the fundraiser is necessary to supply costumes and props for students.
    2. Benefits for students – make friends, learn talents, and build confidence.
    3. Around 100 students have auditioned for this year’s musical. It is important to be able to have the funds to allow all students to participate.
    4. Sarah moves to approve the SCC fundraiser be turned over to the musical. Unanimously approved.
    5. Musical March 12-14th. Ticket sales will be on-line this year.
  7. Media Center Use and Availability to Students
    1. Record checkout level
    2. Students can get a lunch agreement. Students can come before/after school and at lunchtime.  There are games and opportunities for students to work on homework or research.  Connie will make an announcement so students know the lunch pass is available.  If students are disrespectful, they will lose their pass.
  8. Review of Wellness program-Glen
    1. CMMS food follows food and nutrition standards
    2. Overseen by administration
    3. Students receive instructions in nutrition and fitness
  9. Policy on headphones (District/School)-Connie
    1. Can have headphones during passing periods and at lunch
    2. Have seen a decrease in students using headphones in class by allowing them certain times.
    3. Julie would like a review of policy for parents in newsletter
    4. Kim discussed how teachers use cell phones in class as access to technology
    5. Students may use the guest Wi-Fi on their devices
  10. Block Classes Follow-Up
    1. Concerns over split class with B Lunch. Results have been positive and students are productive.
    2. Concerns over Extension and some students not being interested in the extension activity. Discussion of opportunities for some students to have time to do homework.
    3. Discussion on full block next year. Concerns over shorter days on Fridays and students who go to the High Schools for some classes.
    4. Colt Corral is an experiment in progress and each pod is different and the activities are very different each time.
  11. Julie requested the Weekly Calendar for faculty on front page of the school website
    1. Kim discussed getting a widget on the calendar on the side of the first page
  12. Vision Screening Volunteers –Connie
    1. January 7th 9-11
    2. In need of parent volunteers
  13. Thank you from Sarah for the Choir Bleachers
  14. Next meet February 11th at 6pm.
    1. Will be signing Trust Lands for next year
    2. SCC terms are 3 years
    3. Kim moves to adjourn

 

September 17, 2014

Attendees: Kim Baker, Julie Williams, Tricia Petrey, Connie Bailey, Sarah Scherbel, Michelle Sampson, Glen Richins (Admin Intern), Allison Arsenault, Tami Ewell, Katherine Harbaugh, Melisa Christiansen

  1. WELCOME – Julie calls meeting to order.  She asks that if any member is unable to attend any meeting to contact her.
    1. Julie talked about SCC rules and they are posted on the Trust Lands website.
    2. Minutes from meetings will be posted on website as soon as possible for review.
  2. DVD Trust Lands Video was watched

Julie moves to vote on a vice chair.  Sarah asks what the vice chair’s role will be.  Julie and Kim explain it is just a back up to the chair, on an as needed basis.  Sarah Scherbel volunteered, Kim Baker seconded,  a unanimous vote for Sarah to be vice chair was made.

  1. Trust Lands/CSIP/Accreditation

Kim Baker talks about different test scores.  She starts with the SRI scores.    Our students who’s reading scores were on or above grade level was one of the higher middle schools in the district.  The Direct Writing Assessment (DWA), given to 8th grade students, scores was reviewed.  CMMS was slightly above the district average and above the state average.  AP Test scores had 84% of kids that took the test passed.  The school goal is to go up by 2% every year in each test.  Allison asked for clarification as to our school goal.  The school goal is to have 90% at grade level or above.  The school is looking at all subject areas, not just core subjects.  District-wide there are SLO’s being written to have a standardized mastery level for every subject, not just the core subjects.  Michelle asks what the SLO’s look like.  Kim explains that the teachers come together throughout the district to determine what mastery is for each standard that needs to be taught in that subject.  This allows for consistency of mastery throughout the district.

Kim explains that the teachers have asked if the SCC can put money from Trust Lands toward technology.  The teachers would like to see more mobile labs in the pods.  Chrome books can be used for testing where iPads are harder to use.  We currently have 5 mobile labs and 1250 students.  Sarah commented on how she has observed classes taking advantage of mobile labs.

Julie asks if money is set aside for tutoring and after school activities.  Kim says that there is money set aside for all after school activities and those teachers can get paid by submitting a timesheet.  Timesheets and student rosters need to be submitted for each activity for accountability purposes.

  1. Colt Corral & RTI
    1. Colt Corral is extension and remediation time each week. The departments and teachers are in charge of the extension programs.  Each department will be assigned a week for extension and for remediation.  The media center is open as a testing center.  This time is set Thursdays during the TA time.  Allison asks if students choose to do remediation.  Kim explains that the student can ask the teacher to be held or the teacher will select kids that need a little extra help in certain standards.
  2. STUDENT LED CONFERENCE
    1. Jacinto talks about Student Led Conference. They will be held on Wednesday October 1st and Thursday October 2nd.  Wednesday the 1st is 4:00pm-8:00pm and Thursday the 2nd is 4:00pm – 7:30pm.  Parents will register for a time to come in a meet with their students and talk to teachers.  Students will go over his/her portfolio to showcase what the student has been doing.  Students are presenting to parents.
  3. Fundraiser PTSA –memory book
    1. Sarah talks about wanting the fundraising opportunity to be memory books again. Committee members vote to approve memory books as the PTA fundraiser.
  4. Safe Walking Route/Bussing/Dog Searches
    1. Dog Searches – The school does a lock down, dogs are brought in and ran through the school. This is a training for the K-9 units, but it is also to help students feel safe.
      1. The k-9 unit would like to do it twice this year, once in the fall and once in the spring.
    2. Bussing is done on a yearly basis, so some families that received a permit for bussing last year may not get it this year. The district is working on filling the busses with space available for students that do not qualify automatically.  The district should have all this sorted out by September 24th.  Katherine asked about busses picking up late from school.  Connie explains that there are a couple busses that are later because of their routes.  Allison asked how the space available is given out.  Connie explains the district looks at distance from school and special needs of students.
    3. Safe Walking Route – Connie will have it all updated and we will review it and sign at the next meeting.

Julie motions to vote on allowing dogs to come into the building twice a year; once in the fall and once in the spring.  Unanimous vote to allow dogs to train during school hours.

Kim announces that we are Cool School.  Fox 13 will be here at 5:20am September 24th.  They will be doing 9 different segments.  All the music groups will be performing and showcasing their talents.  All students are welcome to come to school early to participate.

  1. Counseling Center
    1. Melisa wants to keep SCC up-to-date on what is going on in the counseling center. She explains that all 7th graders have met individually with his/her counselor already.
    2. 8th graders will be taking the EXPLORE test Tuesday the 23rd in the morning.
    3. Two events are coming up that the counseling center needs volunteers. October 14th 9:00am -11:30am is Reality Town an activity for 9th grade students.  The school needs about 80 volunteers.  To volunteer, contact Gayle Threet in the counseling office.  The second event is Utah Scholars.  This is for 8th grade students and will be on October 24th.  Volunteers are needed to present to US History classes throughout the day.  Volunteers are given the presentation and attend a training prior to giving the presentation.  Presentations can be given for any number of periods or times of day the volunteer would like to do it.

Michelle motions to adjourn meeting, Connie Seconds.  Meeting is adjourned.

Next meeting is November 19th at 6:00pm.

Copper Mountain Trust Lands

Plan 2014-15

2014 estimate       $63,183.00

Goal

Copper Mountain Middle School has in place the Utah State Standards, quality assessments, and a system of interventions to meet the needs of all students.  Using the processes of a Professional Learning Community, we have a school improvement plan that is centered around a continuous improvement cycle through collaboration focused on four questions.  1) What is it we want students to learn? 2) How will we know if they have learned it? 3) What will we do if students do not learn it?  4) What do we do if students already know it?

Almost the entire salary and benefits section of the land trust money is dedicated to the school’s effort in the establishment of its professional learning community and professional development.  Our goals are to move more students to the proficient levels in all tested areas and feel the establishment of our PLC’s is the most viable research based system to do so.  Our goal is that test scores will be at 90% proficiency in Science, Mathematics, Language Arts, and Mastery for all other subjects. We will focus on learning, collaboration, and using results to guide our high quality instruction.  We feel confident our plan will produce the results we are looking for.

Action Plan

All teachers will use team planning days to work on curriculum and assessments to support student learning as it relates to State Standards and Mastery.  All subject areas will have access to Professional Development days during the school year and summer.  Student mastery is not solely measured by success in only math, science and language arts.  All teachers will analyze data to assess levels of student learning, and establish re-teaching or extend methods, for student progress.  It is the collective belief that the work with professional learning communities will positively impact the results of our end of year assessments in all subjects.  Teachers will work at the school, and during the summer, to set the curriculum and common assessments for the year (Team Planning Days with substitutes to cover, and summer work days).

We are dedicated to continuing implementation of middle level philosophy complete with integrated curriculum, developmentally responsive instruction, and collaboration between staff members.  Funds will be used for in-school mentor training with substitutes to cover.  Copper Mountain has several new teachers on staff that need extra support with the State standards, curriculum, assessments, class management, remediation, and extend activities.

Teachers will use tutoring, after school activities, and summer programs to assist students with remediation and extension in all subjects.  Students struggling with attendance issues can use this time to make-up missing work and receive help on standards.  Also, teachers will use after school activities, and summer programs, to extend students talents and interest in school. We believe this will build motivation and a strong connection to school.

Salaries & Benefits $33,000

Teachers will work at the school, and during the summer, to set the curriculum and common assessments for the year (Team Planning Days with substitutes to cover, subs for conference, and summer work days).

Funds will also be used for in-school mentor training with substitutes to cover.

Teachers will teach after school tutoring and enrichment two days a week all year.  Teachers will also run summer programs for remediation and extend programs.

Professional & Tec Services (conferences) $20,000

All teachers in all departments will be available to attend conferences and receive direct training from experts in all areas. Staff will attend and be trained at conferences on Utah State Standards and strategies to use.  Money will be used for conference registration, substitutes, and materials required for the conferences.

Technology $10,000

We will continue to purchase computers, equipment, and mobile labs for classroom use in all subject areas.

Extra Money

Increased money will be used for salaries for staff to run after school and summer programs.

Actual Money allocated for 2014-15    $78,896.48

Copper Mountain Middle School will put into place the Utah State Standards, quality assessments, and a system of interventions to meet the needs of all students.  Using the processes of a Professional Learning Community, we will develop a school improvement plan that is centered around a continuous improvement cycle through collaboration focused on four questions.  1) What is it we want students to learn? 2) How will we know if they have learned it? 3) What will we do if students do not learn it?  4) What do we do if students already know it?

Almost the entire salary and benefits section of the land trust money is dedicated to the school’s effort in the establishment of its professional learning community.  Our goals are to move more students to the proficient levels in all State tested areas and feel the establishment of our PLC’s is the most viable research based system to do so.  Our goal is that test scores will be at 90% proficiency in Science, Mathematics, and Language Arts. We will focus on learning, collaboration, and using results to guide our high quality instruction.  We feel confident our plan will produce the results we are looking for.

Identified academic area(s).

MathematicsReadingScienceWriting

This was the action plan.

Teachers and departments will use planning days to work on curriculum and assessments to support student learning as it relates to state standards and mastery.  All subject areas will have access to these days.  Student mastery is not solely measured by success in math, science and language arts.  Teachers will analyze data to assess levels of student learning and establish re-teaching methods to reassess student learning.  It is the collective belief that the work with professional learning communities will positively impact the results of our end of year assessments in all subjects.  Teachers will also attend conferences and receive direct training from experts in an area of need.  Money will be used for teachers to work at the school, during the summer, to set the curriculum and common assessments for the coming year.  Each department will come in for one week for four hours a day.

Teachers will use tutoring, after school activities, and summer programs to assist students below level in all subjects.  Also, students struggling with attendance issues can use this time to make-up missing work.

The part-time data/testing aid will collect data then supply teachers the student mastery information.  Teachers will then assess the levels of student mastery and establish re-teaching methods to reassess student learning.

Technology needs will be assessed through teacher surveys and testing availability.